#best used car deals
Best and worst used cars
Clark Howard Wednesday, May 6 th 2015
So much has been written about how to buy a new car. But truth be told, far more people buy used than they do new. So here s some guidance to help you get the best used car for your dollar!
Steer away from this list of the worst used cars
Consumer Reports is my favorite source of info on buying cars. They ve recently started running a new feature called The Worst of the Worst Used Cars.
These are used cars that are so bad, they make a hall of shame of cars you should not consider buying used! Here is a very partial and selective list of the used cars to avoid, in alphabetical order.
- BMW 330i 06; and 335Ci 07-09
- Buick Enclave 08-11; and Terraza 05-07
- Chevy Cruze (1.4T) 11-14; Cruze (1.8L) 11-13; Uplander 06-08; and Venture 05
- Chrysler PT Cruiser 05-08
- Dodge Grand Caravan 05-12
- Ford F-250 and F-350 (diesel) 05-08, 10-11, 13; and Fiesta 11-14
- Jeep Wrangler (4-door) 07-09, 11-13
- Mini Cooper S 05-12
- Saturn Outlook 07-09; and Relay 05-07
- VW GTI 07; and Tiguan 09-11
For the complete list. you can either buy one-time access to Consumer Reports at ConsumerReports.org or check out the latest issue from your local library. And if you re driving around in one of these vehicles, don t shoot the messenger! This is not my list. It s the Consumer Reports list!
Consider buying from this list of the best used cars
At the other extreme, Consumer Reports also has a list of vehicles that they ve deemed the best used cars. divided by price category. Here s a partial overview:
- Mazda3 s (2008)
- Pontiac Vibe (2005-08)
- Volkswagen Rabbit (2007-09)
- Acura MDX (2005-06)
- Toyota Highlander V6 (2005-07)
- Honda Accord (2008-12)
- Toyota Camry (2010-12)
- Lexus ES (2007-08)
When you re looking for a used car, you want reliable, dependable, affordable transportation. So let this list be your guide — and don t forget to read this important info from me before you buy used !