THE INTERNET GUIDE TO SCOTLAND
Jobs and Property in Scotland
including useful links for
Buying a House – Employment – Relocation – Work Visas
and Houses for sale in Inverness
Second edition of this popular paperback written by Nicola Taylor who relocated to the Highlands from England and later set up the Highland Dreams Relocation Agency with her husband.
Part One deals with the practicalities of living in the area: schooling, health, transport, property, daily life, retirement etc. and Part Two covers all aspects of employment: availability of work, salaries, women in work, hours and holidays and starting a business. 384 pages (published in March 2005).
Essential reading for anyone who wants to buy property in Scotland. This book includes coverage of the unique features of the house-buying process in Scotland (such as selling houses at ‘offers over’ and the regulations involved in buying property on crofting land).
Guidance is given on all parts of the country with a regional guide explaining the character & climate of the different areas and the types and price of property to be found there.
Written by the same author as the popular ‘Live & Work in Scotland’ book. Published in March 2006.
Work Permits / Visa Requirements / Citizenship
Visa Requirements – the official UK Government office
Useful web sites about relocation and/or living and working in Scotland
- Talentscotland.com is a Scottish Enterprise initiative including FAQs about living and working in Scotland, news and jobs.
- uk-yankee.com has useful practical tips aimed at Americans moving to the UK (including articles on cultural differences, electrical goods, pets, taxes, etc.)
- upmystreet.com provides details about property prices, consumer information, utilities, crime rates, etc. in your chosen town/area.
- www.i-uk.com: official information on business, visas, education, culture, etc. for people coming to Britain. Provided by the UK Government.
- emito.net – portal for the Polish community in the UK
- Highland Move – blog with resources for those wishing to move to the Scottish Highlands & Islands
- Association of Relocation Agents – the professional body for relocation agents in the UK
- Glendinning Property Services – independent property searching (property to buy or rent) and consultancy for buying. (Inverness & Highlands)
- Interdean is a Relocation Services Company based in Aberdeen with service centres throughout Europe and EMEA.
- Rural Relocation offers relocation services to Perthshire, Angus, Fife and Kinross, including a portfolio of property for sale.
- Scott’s Relocation (based in Edinburgh) is the longest established relocation agency in Scotland. They work with private individuals and large corporations. Over 20 years experience. A founding member of the Association of Relocation Agents.
- Uproute – an independent property search and relocation service covering Moray in north east Scotland.
- Alness Removals & Storage (based in the Highlands) – family firm specialising in removal and storage services
- Colin Mackenzie Removals (based in Caithness) offers removals and storage services for the Highlands and Islands.
- Scottish Removal Services for house and furniture removal and storage throughout Scotland, the UK and abroad.
Property web sites:
- OurProperty – free searches for house prices by postcode, plus estate agent directory
If you are looking for commercial, rural and residential properties including hotels, castles and estates, try:
- Bruce and Co. specialise in the sale of licensed and retail businesses in Scotland (hotels, pubs, guest houses, restaurants, etc.)
- MacPhee and Partners – B ?>